Focused Kalamazoo Labor Law Attorneys Assist With Compliance Issues
Respected Michigan firm advises clients on contracts and work policies
The law of the workplace is controlled not only by state and federal statutes but also by contractual agreements, whether express or implied. The knowledgeable labor attorneys at Hamilton Law, PLC in Kalamazoo help employers adopt and implement best practices to ensure statutory compliance and also assist in drafting and negotiating contracts that are vital to efficient operations. Practicing throughout Southwest Michigan, our firm aims to prevent potential labor violations from arising. We also bring employers and employees together to remedy previous mistakes and to forge solutions that respect and maintain the rights of each side.
Knowledgeable counselors explain rights of employees and employers
Our firm helps small businesses and corporations draft documents and enact policies that are in line with their legal obligations and company policies. We counsel management on such matters as:
- Employee handbooks — The clear communication of company policies through an employee handbook can make for a smoother-running workplace. We carefully draft these documents to avoid making them into binding contracts that create certain legal rights. We also make sure employee handbooks do not contain provisions that restrict employee rights in violation of federal or state laws.
- Labor contracts — Our attorneys draft and negotiate enforceable labor contracts on behalf of employers or unions, with the objective of promoting a productive work environment. Our team carries on collective bargaining over wages, hours, working conditions, benefits and other key aspects of employment.
- Executive compensation — Hiring and retaining high-level skilled employees demands offering competitive compensation packages, which cover not only salary but also bonuses, stock options and incentives. We represent management or executives during negotiations over compensation plans that include such terms as vesting, exercise of options and payout provisions in cases of resignation or termination.
- Employee benefits — We counsel employers in devising benefit plans that are manageable and compliant with law. Michigan employers with 50 or more employees must provide paid sick leave and paid family and medical leave. Though Michigan employers are not required to offer health insurance or vacation benefits, many do so in order to attract and retain a healthy work force. We can help create a benefits plan that is suitable to your business needs.
- Labor law compliance — Our attorneys assist businesses in ensuring compliance with state and federal laws regarding minimum wage, overtime pay, sick leave, state holidays, workplace safety and civil rights.
Our firm is well-versed in all aspects of employment law, as we represent employees claiming to have suffered harassment, discrimination, wrongful termination and other rights violations. Utilizing our knowledge and experience in this area, we identify employer vulnerabilities and advise on how to remedy them promptly and effectively.
Experienced lawyers investigate allegations of unlawful labor practices
An accusation of illegal practices by an employer or union should be taken seriously and responded to right away. Our legal team conducts thorough investigations into claimed violations of Michigan labor laws or the federal National Labor Relations Act. Once we evaluate a claim, we can then turn to rectifying the problem. Wherever possible, we negotiate resolutions that are least disruptive of business operations. Our office also represents clients before the National Labor Relations Board and the Michigan Employment Relations Commission. When necessary, we initiate legal action for arbitration of grievances and for enforcement of collective bargaining agreements and other contracts.
Contact trusted Kalamazoo labor law attorneys to schedule a free initial consultation
At Hamilton Law, PLC in Kalamazoo, Michigan, we assist employers with contracts, documents and policies that protect their rights while complying with their legal obligations. Our firm advises and represents business clients throughout Southwest Michigan. To schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys, call 269-488-8394 or contact us online.