Guardianships & Conservatorships

Guardianship Petitions in Southwest Michigan

Adult guardianship can be established when a person is declared incapacitated. This means that they can no longer meet their personal needs according to the probate court. If previous arrangements, such as a durable power of attorney, are not in place, someone who seeks to serve as guardian must file a petition requesting legal authority to act on behalf of the incapacitated person. During this process, a guardian ad litem meets with the proposed ward to assess their competence and feelings about the potential guardianship. From there, a hearing is held where we will advocate for a positive resolution.

Conservatorship Petitions in Michigan

When someone believes that another person is no longer capable of managing their financial affairs or property appropriately, they may petition for conservatorship in the probate court of the county where the subject of the proceeding resides. A person who thinks they might need to transfer control of their financial matters to a trusted individual can also initiate the conservatorship process voluntarily. Our firm makes sure that the relevant parties, such as potential heirs, are notified in these cases and represent clients during court hearings so that judges are aware of the relevant circumstances.

Schedule a Probate Consultation in Kalamazoo Michigan

Hamilton Law represents individuals seeking to obtain guardianship or conservatorship over another individual.  Please call 269-488-8394 or contact us online to make an appointment for a consultation at our office in Kalamazoo. Our office is available for in-person appointments. We also offer virtual telephone consultations and appointments.