Business Planning & Entity Formation
Hamilton Law advises and represents Southwest Michigan small business owners, entrepreneurs, and company managers in a wide range of legal and business matters. We work with start-ups in selecting and forming business organizations and also assist clients looking to buy or sell a business or dealing with real estate issues. Based in Kalamazoo, we have a broad understanding of Michigan business law and commercial practices. Whether your business is new or well-established, small or large, we take the time to understand the issues most important to you and work hard to deliver the legal counsel you need.
Starting a new business requires thorough and thoughtful planning. We counsel entrepreneurs on forming business entities appropriate for their needs. We can advise you on the establishment, tax consequences, and liability concerns of:
- Limited liability companies (LLCs)
- Professional limited liability companies (PLLCs)
- Corporations: C-Corporations and S-corporations
- Joint ventures
- Not-for-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organizations
We can also prepare the documents necessary to establish your business, such as bylaws, partnership agreements, operating agreements, buy/sell agreements, and government registrations and certificates. Our employment law attorneys also draft and revise employee handbooks and other documents and agreements relating to employee benefits and executive compensation.
Advising Clients Through Growth Opportunities and Challenges in Southwest Michigan
As your business grows and evolves, our legal team is in your corner. Whether you are looking to expand the company or are dealing with a difficult decision such as downsizing, we can provide comprehensive counsel. Among the matters we advise on are:
- Mergers and acquisitions — Our experience overseeing corporate transactions, devising beneficial deal structures, and conducting due diligence allows us to provide informed guidance. We also draft, review and negotiate asset purchase agreements, stock purchase agreements, and security agreements.
- Liability risk management — Businesses face all types of risk. Our lawyers help you recognize and correct potential areas of liability, including civil rights, financial transactions, and consumer safety.
- Business restructuring — We work one on one with business leaders to assess options for organizational or financial restructuring, either to prepare for a transfer of ownership or to improve your company's financial stability.
- Subsidiary formation — Creating a subsidiary can provide valuable opportunities for diversifying your business without putting the parent company at significant financial risk. Our firm advises management and corporate boards on the formation and launch of subsidiaries.
In counseling you on any matter, we make sure to assess the long-term goals and short-term needs of your business. As your legal representatives, we will be with you every step of the way. Should a dispute arise during business operations, our business litigation lawyers are committed to protecting the best interests of your business.
Located in Kalamazoo, the attorneys of Hamilton Law advise Southwest Michigan business owners in all aspects of their operations. To schedule a free initial consultation with our office, call 269-488-8394 or contact us online. Our office is available for in-person appointments. We also offer virtual telephone consultations and appointments.